Monday, February 6, 2017

Inspiration / Motivaton

Inspiration, in regards to getting fit, is a funny thing. Its easy to read something motivating..... doing something about it... another story.

I am not big in the social media world, but I have been known to post a few things.  So when Heidi suggested we start an Instagram account together, to help us with motivation and sharing our journey, of course I was on board.  Anything she suggests, I am more than happy to do it.. as long as we can do it together.

It was only 1 year ago (Jan 2016) that she IM'ed me at work and said, "hey, all the girls in the office are taking a swimming class on Tues/Thurs after work.  Do you want to take it with us?"
"Of course" was my reply. This is a sign of things to come.

Little did I know at that time, that they had all decided to do a Sprint Length Triathlon (Tri The Heights) in June, and they wanted to get a head start on the swim training. That is where it all began for us. in all honesty, it was fun.  Although coming out from the pool complex at the U, in the dead of winter, was not great, but we did it.  And actually improved our swimming.


Flash forward to June and not only are the girls are competing in their first triathlon (Shawna has done some before, but Heidi, Maddie, and Danielle were all first timers), but we (the office gals and 2 husbands) have signed up for the Spudman Triathlon in Burley, ID. Its a Olympic length tri with the swim in the Snake River.  Intimidating to say the least! That is me in my age group



 More on those races later though.. so many stories!

Anyway, the thing I was thinking about when I sat down to write this, is the difference between inspiration / motivation, and actually getting to the gym / pool / on the bike / on the streets, whatever it is. I follow a few people on Instagram, and there was a post today that said "With self discipline, all things are possible." - Theodore Roosevelt.

I know everyone has busy lives, but the pounds aren't going to come off, muscles wont get bigger, endurance wont get better if we don't just get out and do it. You know you want to.. and you know how it makes you feel.  Just do it.  wow, what a great slogan.  I should trademark that.

No comments:

Post a Comment